Skip to content Skip to popular pages Skip to navigation
Civil Service Bureau The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
Brand Hong Kong - Asia world city
Default Font SizeALarger Font SizeALargest Font SizeA
SearchSubmit Search querySite mapContact us


Mobile / Accessible VersionPrinter View
Home > Administration of the civil service >> Fringe benefits

Mainland and Local Education Allowance

An eligible officer may claim Mainland and Local Education Allowance towards the cost of the primary and secondary education of his children in the Mainland or in Hong Kong. Model Scale 1 staff, officers on probation, confirmed to the permanent and pensionable establishment, on agreement, or on temporary terms of service remunerated from Personal Emoluments votes are eligible for the Allowance provided they joined the civil service in response to an offer dated before 1 June 2000.

An officer may claim the Allowance at any one time for up to four dependent children provided that he is not in receipt of similar benefits under his spouse's terms of employment. Eligible children should attend schools (a) in the Mainland which are recognised by the Ministry of Education or relevant authorities in the Mainalnd; or (b) in Hong Kong which are included in an Approved Schools List (English Schools Foundation Schools, International Schools, other Primary Schools, other Secondary Schools) issued by the Permanent Secretary for Education.

Mainland and Local Education Allowance is payable towards the school fees for children in primary or secondary education up to the end of the accounting period (i.e. September to December, January to March, April to June) in which the child reaches his 19th birthday, subject to the rate ceilings set for different classes.

Back   Next Back to Top


2012 © Important Notices | Privacy Policy Last Revision Date : 26 July 2005