Skip to content Skip to popular pages Skip to navigation
Civil Service Bureau The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
Brand Hong Kong - Asia world city
Default Font SizeALarger Font SizeALargest Font SizeA
SearchSubmit Search querySite mapContact us


Mobile / Accessible VersionPrinter View
Home > Administration of the civil service >> Conduct and discipline

Outside work

The Government has a prior call at all times on the service of all its staff. A civil servant is required to apply for permission before taking up any paid outside work during or outside working hours, or unpaid outside work during working hours.

As a general rule, a civil servant may not take up any outside work which is liable to affect the performance of or give rise to a conflict of interest with his official duties.

To avoid any real or apparent conflict of interest, a civil servant is also required to seek prior permission from the Government for any intended paid work or for entering into business during the first two years of retirement if the business or employment is carried on in Hong Kong. (Please also see the Retirement section of the Administration of the Civil Service.)

Back Previous Next Back to Top
Level Double-A conformance, W3C WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0
Valid HTML 4.01 Strict
2012 © Important Notices | Privacy Policy Last Revision Date : 31 March 2015